Indonesian Kalasan chickenPosted: April 8, 2014
This menu makes me feel “at home”, somehow makes me forget I am half of the globe away from my hometown. For those looking for recipe that incorporates turmeric, this may suit you. This is Indonesian traditional fried chicken recipe, very popular and you can find it almost everywhere in Indonesia, though sometimes people use different name but usually we can tell from the basic taste, turmeric and coriander.
1. Prepare and cut the chicken. I hope this picture would give you idea about the size of the chicken I used since I didn’t know its weight.
2. Prepare the ingredient: 1 lemon grass(cut), 2 fresh turmeric about 1.5″ each, 5 shallots, 4 garlic, 4candlenuts, 4 bay leaves,3″ galangal, and 1 tbs coriander. Ground the turmeric, shallots, garlic, candlenut, and coriander. My method is using food processor by adding 1C of water, quick and easy.
4. A. Arrange the lemon grass, bay leaves, and galangal on the top of chicken in the medium pot.
B. Pour the liquid from food processor. C. Add water just enough to cover the chicken (not too much to make the chicken floating). Add about 1 tbs salt, taste it once the water start boiling, add more if needed. D. Leave it for 15 minutes(this is my additional step to make sure the chicken absorbs the seasoning thoroughly), cook for 1 hour until the chicken is tender.
5. Drain the liquid, you can store it in air tight container in the fridge.
6. Fry in medium heat oil until golden brown, serve!