We have these 2 nooks beside the fireplace that are designed for built in bookcase.
Rather than went with conventional built in style we chose the modern and simple design. Although it’s simple it gives a strong statement and really defines the room.
I followed the tutorial from this link:
Here is the process done in my house, lots of picture and less words 🙂
- Prepare the frames using 2×4 woods.
2. Attach the frame to the wall. Use the stud finder to locate the wood frame behind the drywall.
3. Attach the front rails.
4. Prepare the wood strip covers for front part and plywood covers for top and bottom. This step involves tons of sanding, staining, poly. The more sanding and poly you do the smoother the looks.
5. This step is when you are planning to install recessed lighting on each shelf. Attach the bottom part first and run the wire inside the frame. Once the lighting is set then you can cover the top part. I also applied wood glue around the perimeter before you put nails, to prevent any gaps, in case the nails get loose at any point of time in the future.
6. Laminating the front part with wood strip.
We got so lucky my friend gave us these 1″ thickness woods from bed rails that fits perfectly.
7. Hope it inspires you!
Finally I managed to put together the room decor for the nursery which has been transformed to baby room since she is in the crawling stage now. It took more than 1 year to finish, sounds like forever to me specially when we had to deal with the mess of changing the flooring. Actually I don’t think it’s ever finished … before I know, she will need big girl bed and the decor will be changed.
This post summarizes the DIY projects I did before, I put the link to the previous posts so it’s easy for you to find the tutorials… Enjoy!
Here is the link: DIY wall mural
Here is the link: Alphabet Wall Decor
Here is the link: Crochet Koala Initial Sign
Here is the link: Crochet Flower planter
Here is the link: Curtain
Here is the link: Embroidery Hoop Art
Hopefully it brings inspiration.