Lately I’ve become more curious about the stuffs sold in grocery store or farmer’s market, specially in produce section. I used to pick the same veggies week after week, bok choy, napa cabbage, and spinach are my regulars. Last week I was attracted to this cute tomato like fruit, Tomatillos!!! I grabbed 1 pound of it, just because the look and the name are so cute, no idea how I would use it … I thought “ahh, no worry, uncle google will offer help as always”. Later I found this recipe at simplyrecipes.com. It’s a keeper, will make it again.
Please be aware this recipe going from stove top to oven, so oven proof pan is ideal. However I use regular pan then transferred it to casserole dish.
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Add 1 chopped medium onion and 2 seeded & minced jalapenos. Cook until onion begins to brown.
2. Add 3 garlic cloves ( minced ).
3. Add 1 pound tomatillos ( cut in small wedges ), sprinkle salt as they are cooking. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup water, followed by adding 1 pound shrimp ( cleaned and deveined ) and 1 cup feta cheese, stir slightly.
This is the tofu version of meat roulade. Meat roulade is one of the must have menu in our family’s special gathering such as Chinese lunar new year. The ground pork makes a big portion of the ingredient. Usually ground shrimp is also added. The casing or wrap is dried bean curd or we call it dried tofu skin.
Since I don’t like pork I used tofu to replace the ground pork. I also added vermicelli, but don’t ask me why because I just felt want to 🙂 .
You can always add, replace, or change the ingredient as you want to your preferred style, this recipe is easy and fun to make.
1. Soak 4 bean curd sheets in water until soft, keep it in water until you are ready to assemble the roulade.
2. Soak 1 roll ( +/- ½ cup ) vermicelli noodle in water until soft, chop to smaller size.
3. Soak 3 pcs dried shiitake mushroom, rinse and finely chopped.
4. Dice 1 box soft tofu then put in a clean cloth and squeeze out excess water.
5. 1 ½ cup ground shrimp.
6. Shred 1 medium carrot, squeeze extra water.
7. Chop ¼ cup parsley.
8. Lightly beat 1 egg.
9. Finely minced 2 cloves garlic.
10. Mix all above ingredients ( except the bean curd sheet ) in a bowl, season with salt pepper.
11. Assemble the roulade using bean curd sheet, once finished lightly brush the surface with vegetable oil.
12. Steam for about 20 minutes ( count the time once the water start boiling ). I put banana leaves as the base.
13. There are 2 ways for serving,
- as steamed roulade, just slice and serve.
- as fried roulade, fry in the oil once it’s cool, slice and serve.
14. Bon Appétit.