Lately I’ve become more curious about the stuffs sold in grocery store or farmer’s market, specially in produce section. I used to pick the same veggies week after week, bok choy, napa cabbage, and spinach are my regulars. Last week I was attracted to this cute tomato like fruit, Tomatillos!!! I grabbed 1 pound of it, just because the look and the name are so cute, no idea how I would use it … I thought “ahh, no worry, uncle google will offer help as always”. Later I found this recipe at simplyrecipes.com. It’s a keeper, will make it again.
Please be aware this recipe going from stove top to oven, so oven proof pan is ideal. However I use regular pan then transferred it to casserole dish.
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Add 1 chopped medium onion and 2 seeded & minced jalapenos. Cook until onion begins to brown.
2. Add 3 garlic cloves ( minced ).
3. Add 1 pound tomatillos ( cut in small wedges ), sprinkle salt as they are cooking. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup water, followed by adding 1 pound shrimp ( cleaned and deveined ) and 1 cup feta cheese, stir slightly.
5. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, pepper to taste, and a squeeze of lime juice.
7. Bon appétit.
2 thoughts on “Shrimp Tomatillos”
This looks very delicious! I’m not sure if I can get these tomatillos here but can normal tomatoes be a good alternative?
it tastes almost like green tomato, sour, but in good way 🙂 … I guess green tomatoes will do.