This is my 95th post so far, my goal is 100 posts by 2014, 5 more to go before entering 2015, wish me luck!
Since I’m racing with time to accomplish the goal, I’ve been looking into my files to see projects that haven’t been posted yet and this is one of them. I made this puff pocket often, but this one is different from what I usually made because I made the pastry from scratch. If you are looking for puff pastry recipe that is easy and fast, this is the recipe I got from A flock in the city blog: http://www.aflockinthecity.com/2012/04/17/homemade-puff-pastry-the-quicker-version-by-nick-malgieri/ . I didn’t use food processor, just pastry blade. Another thing that I learned is you have to move fast to prevent the butter becomes too soft.
When your puff pastry is ready, cut it in 3″x3″ square, add slices of banana and shredded cheese, sprinkle with sugar then fold half to triangle shape, brush with egg wash, baked until golden brown, that’s it!
After making Mushroom Puff, I started my search of other recipe using pastry sheet. There’s a picture of mini pizza with puff pastry, the sheet was cut rectangle then we add the pizza toppings we want, bake it, that’s it… so easy. It gave me idea for making my version of mini pizza, I rolled it up. Perfect for snack.
1. Prepare 1 pastry sheet on well floured surface, spread tomato sauce onto the top, add 1C corn, 1/4C chopped sweet onion, 2 tbs green onion, add grated cheese as desired: white swiss, parmesan, cheddar, finish with mayo. Bottom line is you just add whatever you want for your pizza to suit your taste.
2. Roll it, seal the end with egg wash, cut into 10 pieces, bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.
3. Here is the look fresh from the oven.
4. Bon appétit.
I tried couple times to make my own puff pastry, they tasted good but didn’t have the texture I was looking for. I think I need to practice more rolling and folding the dough to get those nice layers. Since I had been so curios about this recipe, I got it from Pinterest, I decided to go with the frozen pastry sheet available in grocery store. That cut the work and time, thanks to Pepperidge Farm, the pastry sheet I used.
1. In this recipe I only used half of the package = 1 pastry sheet. Prepare the oven at 350F.
A. Mix following ingredients for the filling mixture: 4 oz creamcheese( room temperature), 1/4C parmesan, 1/2C mushroom, rinsed and drained( I used canned mushroom because it’s what I had that time), 1/4C chooped sweet onion, 1/2 tbs garlic powder, 1 tbs green onion, dash of pepper.
B. Cut the pastry sheet on well floured surface, add the filling mixture.
C. Brush the edge with the egg wash( for the egg wash, I whisked 1 egg without water), fold and seal.
D. Cut to 5 or 6 pieces. Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with pepper.
2. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and apply another egg wash, put back to oven for 5 more minutes, do it as quick as possible. Why do this? because I want to make sure the surface will have nice color, shining gold 🙂
3. Bon appétit