This one is super easy and fun looking cookies. Not only cute because of the texture of coconut flakes but I really like how it tastes. The original recipe uses raspberry and/or apricot jam, I modified mine using my homemade chunky pineapple jam and adding raisin on the top. The Pineapple jam gave me idea for the name because it has sourness, just enough, to give fresh and unique taste. With the sweetness from sweetened coconut flakes I think Sweetsour Cookies is the prefect name.
1. Cream together 3/4 pound (3sticks) unsalted butter (at room temperature) and 1 C sugar until just combined then add 1 tsp vanilla extract. On low speed mixed slowly add flour mixture (3 1/2 C all purpose flour + 1/4 tsp salt). Form the dough into a flat rectangle about 7″x 6″, wrap in plastic, chill for 30 minutes.
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- 8 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- 42 pcs raisin (1 for each)
- 1 1/2 C chunky pinneaple jam (or any of your favorite jam)
note : for making chunky pineapple jam, cook grated 1/2 fresh pineapple + diced 1/2 fresh pineapple (3/8″x3/8″) with sugar (the amount depends on your preferred sweetness) until the juice is reduced and thick. I prepared mine 1 day ahead.
- Cut the dough into 42 pcs 1″x1″ square, roll each piece into a ball,
- dip into egg wash,
- roll in coconut flakes,
- place on the baking sheet layered with parchment paper,
- with finger, make a light indention into its top
- fill with pineapple jam and top with raisin.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until the flakes golden brown) in the preheated 350F oven.
5. Cool and serve. Bon appétit!