Simple & Easy Mocha Cake

1. Prepare :

• 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • sift 1 C cake flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder (original version uses 1tsp baking powder and cream of tartar)
  • dissolve 1 tsp instant coffee + 1 tsp cocoa powder + 1 tsp water + 1 tsp vanilla

2.  Whisk  6 eggs (at room temperature)+ 1 C sugar until pale and creamy.

3. Pour the coffee mixture into egg mixture, followed by oil, beat until well combined.

4. Stir in flour mixture and gently fold until well blended. Divide the batter between 2, 9″round cake pans (line the bottom with parchment paper and put baking spray around the inside). Bake in 375 F oven about 20 minutes, check with toothpick.

5. For the filling cream : whisk 1 1/2 C heavy cream + powdered sugar (as your preferred sweetness) + 2 tbsp kahlua, coffee liqueur + 1 tbsp optional amaretto, almond liqueur.

6. Bon appétit!

Advertisements

15 Comments on “Simple & Easy Mocha Cake”

1. mydearbakes says:

Loved this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! =)

2. mmmarzipan says:

This looks incredible! 🙂

3. helen says:

i didn’t have 9×2 round pans, so i used 2 9×13 pans. i divided the batter between the 2 pans and it was only around 0.5 cm tall. i put it in the oven and it was done in 10 minutes.
    2nd time i tried it with 1.5 the amount of batter. (so if it asked for 1 cup of sugar, i put in 1.5cups) and so on.. i used the same 9×13 pan but this time the batter went up around 1cm. it still didn’t rise in the oven. i’m so frustrated. i folded correctly and did everything the original recipe told me to do. i wanted to surprised my boyfriend for his bday in 3 days but i’m starting to lose hope.
    i’m gonna try your recipe instead the day before his bday as a last shot, because the original recipe isn’t working for me ):
    could you tell me what i’m doing wrong? should i buy a smaller pan? i know that 9×2 converts to a 7×11 baking pan.

• Hi Helen, I’m not sure if it is the pan size. was the egg at room temperature? had the oven been preheated before? or maybe the egg mixture need to be beaten longer? sorry to hear that 😦 hopefully it works next time for you.

4. rosie says:

Hi Thanks for the recipe. A few days ago I saw your post with the mocha roll photo in it. I couldn’t find it anymore. Do you still have that in this site?

5. Valerie says:

Where can I find the ingredients in the frosting? The liqueurs?

6. Laura says:

I’m making a birthday cake for my MIL and it’s a teapot. The cake is going to be round. Do you think the cake will be dense enough to hold its shape? She loves mocha cakes…not the dark chocolaty ones but the one like yours. I would love to make it for her.

• Laura says:

Sorry, when I say round, I mean round as in the shape of a ball.

• To be honest I am not sure how well the cake will hold its shape since it’s quite soft, in two layer cakes it works well… But it depend on the decorating also… Hopefully it works well for your project, what a lucky MIL… Let me know how it turns out.

• Laura says:

Hi. Thanks for your response. I made a half recipe to try it and baked it in half the round pan. You’re right, it’s too soft for what I want to do. It would flatten under the weight of two layers plus fondant and decorations. It’s a shame because this is exactly the kind of cake she loves. Good cake tho. 🙂